Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chapter 1 Rethinking Computers and Instruction

Reflecting on What I Know

# Must I use a inquiry-based learning approach in my classroom to use computers as a tool?
Because the goal of educators is to engage students in the learning process, various types of learning approaches should be used.  In inquiry-based learning, a teacher's role is to facilitate and provide information to the students (p. 12).  Problem-based learning and project-based learning approaches discussed in out textbook offer other means of engaging students in their learning (p. 13).  Learning approaches need to be flexible to meet the needs of all the students especially when teaching students with special needs.  When I think about different learning approaches, it reminds of a map.  There are many roads that lead to your destination, which in this case is learning.

# Can I still use tutorials and drill-and-practice software?
Tutorials and drill-and-practice software can be used successfully along with other types of software programs to assist students in learning classroom objectives.

# Won't I have to spend a great deal of time to develop these units of instruction?
Teachers spend a great amount of time in preparation.  Initially, it does take to time to develop something new and different other than what has been used previously.  After new units have been developed and used, teachers can make adjusts or additions as needed to accomadate the needs of the current students.  This can ultimately be time saving for teachers.

# Won't every student need a computer to use it as a tool?
While it would be ideal if every student had a computer for their own use, students can be assigned to groups with each studnet being responsible for specific components of the assignment. This type of learning builds social skills and peer learning.

Reference:  Integrating Computer Technology into the Classroom 4th Edition; Gary R. Morrison and Deborah L. Lowther
                  


No comments:

Post a Comment